BURNS ALERT - LAMD AND BROWN RICE KIBBLE

We have a lovely smooth collie bitch but were having trouble finding a food that suited her in that her stools were inclined always to be soft and sometimes quite loose. We tried a number of kibbles but none were completely satisfactory. We also tried raw feeding having researched it thoroughly on the internet and in books. Short term this seemed to be the answer but our dog always ended up being ill probably from an infection from the raw food. We tried both ordinary butchers meat and one of the well known branded raw dog foods and the result was always the same. If anyone is thinking of trying raw feeding I would suggest proceeding with caution and don’t be mislead by the almost evangelical fervour of the raw food enthusiasts. The old adage -if it seems to good to be true, it probably is - is worth bearing in mind. We ended up at a local pet shop and asked the owners advice. He suggested Burns and with some scepticism I bought a bag to try. The recipe for the food seemed just too simple to be any good, but it was. Within a couple of days there was an improvement. We have now been feeding Burns for several weeks with no problems at all and our dogs stools are firm and she only ‘goes’ a couple of times a day. Burns has a good website and they can be telephoned for advice. I have found them very helpful. If you have a problem with your dog’s food, give Burns a try, it might just be the right one for your dog to. We also have a 14 week old pup and he is also on Burns with no problems.

1 Like

Hello and welcome to the forum. Thank you for sharing the story of your Smooth Collie and it is good to hear that she is now well and healthy on Burns Alert. It is helpful to hear about different experiences of dog food. Yours is interesting because you have tried a number of products to no avail.

Having just checked out the formula for Burns Alert I see that it is low protein and fat so it leads me to wonder if it is this that suits your dog. Whatever it is, it works and that is all to the good.

Regarding raw food I agree that there are evangelical raw feeders who perhaps overstate the case. Clearly this doesn’t suit every dog. We are fortunate to have so much information and a wide variety of products to choose from.

2 Likes

Interesting Post regarding various foods etc. I am sure that no matter what individuals say ‘for’ or ‘against’ a particular brand or recipe that the pet owner is prepared to try alternatives and be acceptable to suggestions from Vets / Retailers & of course pet lovers like the forum members. I have customers that have taken several months to find a acceptable food…one that is right for the pet & the owner. You will be surprised at how many people just do not know what is in the food (or even the name of the food !!). Sharing knowledge and communicating what makes a ‘good’ food etc should be in the foremost of all pet owners.

A happy pet makes a happy owner.

Looking forward to sharing and communicating good & the bad with everyone.

1 Like