McAdams Whole Free Range Chicken Baked Dog Food

Hi, We have just started selling the brand new dry dog food from McAdams. It is baked and air dried rather then being extruded and they use whole fresh chicken not meat meal or dressed carcass. For more info please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you for bringing this new product to our attention. It is one that I had not heard of. I am particularly interested in it because there are so few dry foods that are baked, the majority being extruded. I was hoping that you might explain the process of baking and air drying? It is something I have not come across. Also, please could you help us out with a list of ingredients and tell us why you feel this is a good product? Is it going to be widely available in pet stores or will it be online only? Look forward to learning more about this product.

I have had a look at the Mcadams website here. From the photograph it looks very much like the nuggets of cold pressed dog food. The website looks very nice but lacks information. I could not find a list of ingredients/percentages or typical analysis. However, the website Pets Corner has more information including packet size, cost and the aforementioned ingredients list/analysis.

Medium breed:
Ingredients: Free Range British Chicken (50%), Sweet Potato (22%), Pea Flour, Chicken Fat, Pea Fibre, Cellulose, Chicken Stock, Pea Protein, Salmon Oil, Yeast, Minerals, Vitamins, Marigold Meal, Green Lipped Mussel (0.1%), Prebiotics (FOS 0.1%, MOS 0.1%), Citrus Extract, Seaweed, Lentil Flour, Yucca, Spinach Powder, Tomato Pomace, Carrot Pomace (0.01%), Chamomile Flowers, Lavender Powder, Cranberries (0.01%), Rosemary Extract.
Analytical Constituents: Crude Protein 22.0%, Fat 14.5%, Crude Fibres 3.0%, Crude Ash 7.0%, Omega 3 0.5%, Omega 6 3.5%, Calcium 1.4%, Phosphorus 0.72%.
Using the Instant Review Generator, it scores 3.9 stars out of 5.

It is labelled as being an ethical, cruelty free product as they only use free range chickens. There are three products in the range: small breed, medium and large breed. Sizes are 2kg, 5kg and 10kg. The small size is £20.99 on the Pets Corner website so it is quite expensive. It is an all lifestage product. I can’t work out the dry weight percentages of protein and fat but on the face of it the protein looks too low for puppies and young dogs. Even for adult dogs it is on the low side. I assume that this is because there is no meat meal in it.

Would be interested to hear other opinions on this product.

I have copied a lot of this from McAdams own website so hear goes.

Most dry pet food is made using a process called extrusion. This cooks the kibble quickly and at high temperatures using steam and pressure. It is very efficient for cooking carcass and meat meal and allows a neat, shaped kibble.
McAdams is hand prepared and cooked differently. Because we use whole British free range chickens, not carcass and meat meal, we have chosen to slow roast our food in ovens. We then cut in into pieces before warm air-drying it for 3-4 hours.
The result is a uniquely aromatic kibble, different in shape from other foods, made with as little interference as possible in the cooking process. You will smell the difference when you open the bag. (I can personally vouch for the smell it’s like a roast chicken dinner in a biscuit).

McAdams is also the only dry dog food made using whole British free range chickens from DEFRA approved, ethical farms across the UK.
Most traditional pet food is made using grains, stripped carcasses and a powder called meat meal. These are often referred to on ingredient lists as “freshly prepared” or “dried chicken.”
McAdams is different. They believe using whole British free range chickens, no grain or meat meal powder is more natural for dogs and also helps support ethical farming.

One reason I recommend this this product is that I have a very fussy French Bulldog who at times finds eating a chore but with McAdams he wolfs it down.

Below is the ingredient list;

Chicken (50%) Sweet Potato (22%), Pea Flour, Chicken Fat, Pea Fibre, Cellulose, Chicken Stock, Pea Protein, Salmon Oil, Yeast, Minerals, Vitamins, Marigold Meal, Green Lipped Mussel (0.2%), Prebiotics (FOS 0.1%, MOS 0.1%), Citrus Extract, Seaweed, Lentil Flour, Yucca, Spinach Powder, Tomato Pomace, Carrot Pomace (0.01%), Chamomile Flowers, Lavender Powder, Cranberries (0.01%)

At the moment its available from online and from select independent pet shops and a national chain. It is priced quite high but the feeding amounts are low. If any one would lie a sample if they contact me I would happily pop one in the post.

Fifty Sheep
01273 473283

info@50sheep.co.uk

https://50sheep.co.uk/mcadams-baked-dry-dog-food-with-fresh-chicken/dp/2427

2 Likes

Thank you very much - our posts seem to have crossed. It looks as if it is an interesting new British product, particularly in view of the way it is made and the company’s ethical stance. I like that very much. My only concern is that the protein seems rather low (as previously mentioned). I would be inclined to top up with extra meat if I used this product but then it would make it expensive. However, there are some dogs for whom a diet which is lower in protein is recommended and there are very few grain free, low protein foods so this fills that space. I hope that David will soon review it for the Dog Food Directory.
Thank you for posting about this interesting new product. :slight_smile:

Hi Dottie,

I think your right. I think the reason the protein levels are a little low are because they are only using fresh whole chicken which when cooked will loose a lot of moisture (I could be wrong). But I can say for sure my Frenchie is doing very well on it and has been for the last few months (and he still loves it).

1 Like

We have had a few posts on here from owners who are looking for a lower protein, grain free product and in fact earlier this year I too was in this category. There are hardly any around and the only ones I found are fish based. It may be that this level suits some adult dogs but I wouldn’t advise anyone to use it for puppies and juniors who need protein. Most dedicated puppy foods are around 30% protein. Good to hear that your Frenchie is doing well on it.

Hello

I’m curious to know if there is a review setup for this particular food as we are using this for Treats but more I have looked into it I’m now considering using this for food? I have a couple or pictures of the box. But was curious to know what you guys think to ingredients etc etc.

It isn’t on the Dog Food Directory yet but there is a thread about McAdam’s dog food here.

Thank you Dottie. Apologies for not using my eyes lol. Cheers will have a read. 8) :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s OK - it was in the Classiffieds section so was not immediately obvious. I only remembered it myself because it is a bit different from other products. I’ve merged your thread into the original one and moved it into the Dog Food section. I would be interested to know how you get on with it if you decide to change from your current food. Would you let us know please?

From reading about this food having a low protein count I will only use this for treats for now. As our pup is 14 weeks old and obviously still growing. Trying to persuade a friend to try this food as his Dog is 6 years old and on a low protein diet. Will take photos of food itself. It smells lovely!

2 Likes