Suggestions of brands for an eliminate diet using only hydrolysed proteins.

Hi

I’ve got a 16-month old Springer with allergic dermatitis affecting her paws. We’re clearing up the dermatitis and preparing to put her on an eliminate diet to see if it’s a food allergy. She must have only hydrolysed protein in her food. She currently has Millie’s Wolfheart, which is chicken and grass products free and hypoallergenic, but they don’t do hydrolysed protein.

Any suggestions of brands/products very welcome.

Thanks,

Alister

Hello and welcome to the forum. The only two companies that I know of that sell hydrolyzed protein dog food are Hills and Royal Canin. Their support staff should be able to help you. It is possible for dogs to be allergic to storage mites, usually found in dry, cereal containing products. In these cases, wet food could be the better choice.

I am wondering if Pure Veggie Plus Mixer might be worth considering. It is a dehydrated complimentary food to which you just add the protein of your choice. In your case it would be a novel protein to which the dog has not been exposed to before. If interested, discuss this with your vet.

Beef and chicken are said to be common allergens but dogs can be intolerant of other things. One of mine had a similar problem to your dog and I suspect that it was a legume intolerance. Also, sometimes the cause of irritation is not food at all - it could be genetic or environmental. If you are interested in learning more about this complex problem, there is a video here which might be helpful.

As an owner of a dog with food and environmental allergies, if you can, I would recommend getting a blood test done. You will then know what you are dealing with much quicker and be able to start dealing with your dog’s allergies. If it is a food source allergy, you also have to look at any treats you may choose to feed. You may well find the expense of the blood test is money well spent. Fortunately we had insurance and this covered the cost. Good luck … just remember you cannot get rid of the allergy, but if you know what it is, you can manage it well. And there are cheaper supplements available on line that are just as good, if not better, than some the vets tell you to buy.