About the Dog food and feeding category

Got some questions or insights about dog food or feeding? This is the forum for you! Post here on anything from complete foods to supplements, dry foods to raw and, of course, targeting specific canine health problems.

Hey there! I’ve got a 1-year-old golden retriever, and I’m really focused on giving her the best nutrition possible. We’re not able to go the raw diet route, so I’ve been looking into the top dry food options. I’ve heard that cold-pressed varieties are a step up from regular kibble, and that’s what I’ve been feeding her lately. Along with the dry food, I make sure to add in some tasty extras like steamed veggies, ox liver, mushrooms, eggs, sardines, salmon oil, and bone broth. While I know dry food isn’t quite as ideal as a raw diet, I’d love to hear your thoughts on what we’re currently feeding her.

2 Likes

Hello @alice and welcome to the All About Dog Food Forum!

You can find loads of useful information in this article https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/articles/dog-food-101-what-when-and-how-much.php regarding your question about cold pressed x regular kibble.

Feeding your girl steamed veggies etc. is not only great way to provide her with food variety but also with vitamins and minerals!

I hope you find the article helpful :slight_smile:

I have one question I’m hoping you could help me with. I have 2 labradors. One is 2 years old the other 3 months.
I feed them raw food with an 80/10/10 mix.
I am looking to give them a dry biscuit as well as I can’t afford to feed only raw.
Should I look for a complete biscuit or a complementary one? And do I need to have different biscuits for puppy? Any recommendations would be helpful. Thanks in advance!!

Hello @MaxTheGroodle and welcome to the AADF forum.

Great question! I have recently changed my own dogs diet for similar reasons. In my case, I have stuck with dry food I would feed them when away on holiday, and adjusted the portions (ratio raw x dry food).

Puppies have different nutrient needs so I would definitely go for puppy dry food and puppy raw food. There are some great affordable options out there for both, and you can get sign up discounts, seasonal promotions etc.

Hope it helps! :slight_smile:

I have one question I’m hoping you could help me with. I have 2 labradors. One is 2 years old the other 3 months.
I feed them raw food with an 80/10/10 mix.
I am looking to give them a dry biscuit as well as I can’t afford to feed only raw.
Should I look for a complete biscuit or a complementary one? And do I need to have different biscuits for puppy? Any recommendations would be helpful. Thanks in advance!!