Hi all I’m after some advice

Hi I’m jamie, I’ve been using this website for the last few months and never knew you had a forum.

Anyway I have 3 English Coker spaniels buster who’s 4
Frank and nacho who are both 16 weeks.

I’ve changed the puppy food to Simpson’s premium puppy 80/20 as they were on royal canin puppy which isn’t all that good.

Buster who’s been on James Wellbeloved since he was 1, after going through the nutritional value on this website it turns out it’s not as good as I thought, so I’m going to change his food and have narrowed it down to guru and gentle original both cold pressed. Thing is I can’t decide between the two, I noticed that guru has Pre biotics where as gentle doesn’t.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jamie

Hi, I’ve personally found that if the dog likes it and is healthy then they may be ok on whatever commercial food you buy. But I also give my dog some fresh dog safe human foods in small amounts like vegetables and fruits and some meats cooked without seasoning.

1 Like

Hello and welcome to the forum Mitford. You have made a good choice - either of those foods should be fine for your Buster. They are both made by the Markus Muhle company which has a good reputation. I have fed both but mostly used Guru Surf and Turf which I found to be suitable for my dogs. I too used to top up with some home cooked food to add variety.

We have a thread on cold pressed foods here. It contains useful information about how to store and feed. Be very careful not to overfeed - it is really easy to do because the food is dense and the amount can look small in the bowl. I would recommend weighing it in the first instance. The Guru website has detailed information about transitioning.

2 Likes

Hello DOTTIE thank you for your reply, we currently weigh the puppies food and noticed how much less we are using of Simpson’s in comparison to the previous food they were on. Buster is the same he gets plenty of vegetables his favourite being carrots. In regards to the cold pressed food it’s something I want them all to be on in the future but seeming as I’ve only just changed the puppies food I’m going to stick with that for a while and just change busters food

1 Like

It is much easier to have them all on the same food and cold pressed would do very well because it is for all ages. When you begin to change puppy onto it have a word with the company’s staff and they will advise you about the amount needed. IIRC adult RDA is circa 1% to 1.2% of ideal body weight but puppies need more. Hope that it suits your dogs.

1 Like

hello. If your dog is not picky about it, then you can feed him. But make sure you also give your dog some real food, fruits, and vegetables. Make sure there is no making in vitamins, minerals, and protein.

An update, we was going to finish the Simpson’s premium puppy 80/20 before moving them into gentle but there stools were a very mixed from firm to loose so decided to try introducing gentle, they both moved over seamlessly and now their stools are as they should be. I weigh the food every day and must admit it does seem strange with how little they actually need but their weight is exactly where it should be for Their age.
I’m going to give the bag of Simpson’s to the local dog rescue place

2 Likes

I find that cold pressed food digests better than extruded food, as extruded food sits in the tummy and takes along time to digest, but cold pressed food digest quicker , and my dogs stools are better with old pressed, with extruded they are very hit and miss. Good to hear that they are doing better.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the update Mitford - it is much appreciated. I am glad that the transition to cold pressed food has gone smoothly and that your dogs are doing well on it.

My two were on cp food for some time and as with your dogs, their stools were good. I too was concerned about the apparent small amount. Sometimes I soaked it and then it looked as if there was more of it.

Thank you very much for the update Mitford - it is much appreciated. I am glad that the transition to cold pressed food has gone smoothly and that your dogs are doing well on it.

My two were on cp food for some time and as with your dogs, their stools were good. I too was concerned about the apparent small amount of food in the bowl - it takes some getting used to. Sometimes I soaked the nuggets and then it looked as if there was more of it.

1 Like

Your feedback is appreciated. I am glad your dogs are doing well and have settled at a good healthy weight.