Need a weight loss food and fast!

My dog is 10kg overweight and I am getting desperate. I just can’t decide what to feed him so I have been switching raw to burns to Eden to wet food and now he has gained another kg. he is walked an hour a day and it is not a health problem he has been to the vets, that caused his overweight but overfeeding when in parents care. He has no other treats but half a carrot after a walk.

I am open to any suggestions on what to feed him I am at a loss? I tried him on prescription diet but he got really sick with hives, hot spots and raw armpits.

Please help me, I’m desperate and the vet just recommends hills so they are no help to me

Hello and welcome to the forum,
Before even thinking about dog food. Is he sometimes still in your parents care? If this is what has caused the problem, then the best way to help him lose weight is by getting them to understand that he needs a healthy diet. It doesn’t matter what you feed, if he is having too many extras, he will gain weight. I hope you can get your parents on board

You may find some useful advice on this thread weight loss

Good luck.

1 Like

Burns is an ok kibble of rice not an issue, Eden is a popular choice and rates well on here, raw is fine also…all assuming the dog isn’t intolerant to anything in these. Because any of these should be ok I don’t feel need to recommend yet another food. Personally I would not choose to feed Hills in abscene of a specific issue and a genuine belief of a requirement to feed it.

Calm down a bit of able. albeit I too would be concerned in your shoes.

Please answer each of the following questions individually.

1. What breed is your dog ?

2. Castrated or entire ?

3. Age of dog ?

4. What is the dog currently fed on ?

5.How many grams of this food do you daily feed ?

1. How many feeds do you split the daily amount into ?

2. You say dog is 10kg overweight - whose opinion is this and based on what ?

3. Are parents still caring for the dog at all ?

4. Anyone else been feeding or treating him ?

5. Please list specifics of exercise routine …on lead or off ? Retrieving ? Swimming ? Etc ?

I have taken your comments re abscene of health other issues literally - please add any relevant history.

In abscence of other health issues - overweight issues are generally down to excess food relative to exercise.

Once you have replied, myself &/or others may be better able assist.

1 Like

Apologies if my post duplicates sentiments above - my post entered at similar time.

1 Like

[quote author=COASTER link=topic=1210.msg4102#msg4102 date=1468789720

Please answer each of the following questions individually.

1. What breed is your dog ? Cocker spaniel

2. Castrated or entire ? Neutered

3. Age of dog ? 7

4. What is the dog currently fed on ? Varies Eden, raw

5.How many grams of this food do you daily feed ? 100g Eden or 200g raw

1. How many feeds do you split the daily amount into ? 2

2. You say dog is 10kg overweight - whose opinion is this and based on what ? Vets and dog groomer he should weigh 17kg

3. Are parents still caring for the dog at all ? No as I’m no longer in hospital

4. Anyone else been feeding or treating him ? No

5. Please list specifics of exercise routine …on lead or off ? Retrieving ? Swimming ? Etc ? Walking moderately quick, he gets out of breath, 20 mins off lead, 40 mins on lead- he won’t retrieve it’s too much effort,

I have taken your comments re abscene of health other issues literally - please add any relevant history.

In abscence of other health issues - overweight issues are generally down to excess food relative to exercise.

Once you have replied, myself &/or others may be better able assist.
[/quote]

1 Like

Some formatting issues but I got all that - thanks.

A quick google search indicates that an adult cocker should be around 14.5kg (not 17kg as you indirectly indicated).

I found a news item re an overweight cocker weighing 23.5kg. If yours really is 27kg then you are right to be concerned.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2225742/Billly-Scottish-cocker-spaniel-loses-weight-crash-diet.html

27kg is near double ideal body weight for breed so IMO the dog should be checked by a vet.

Based on what you say you should be seeing some weight loss…albeit NOT overnight.

I am reluctant to give advice that may be dangerous to your dog but would not be concerned feeding Eden or Raw in sensible quantities. Feeding guide from Eden below…maybe seek their advice specific to your circumstances.

http://www.edenpetfoods.com/feeding-guide.html

1 Like

Hello and welcome to the forum. First of all, you are capable of reducing your dog’s weight but you need to be realistic. I understand your concern but please calm down and take your time - this is really, really important. A slow, steady weight loss is best and it could take as much as a year to get your dog to a normal weight. I think that you need support and if I were you I would seek out a vet who has a veterinary nurse who runs a weight loss clinic. This can be enormously helpful because the dog will be weighed regularly and it will motivate you. Also, she may be able to advise on a suitable diet.

I am not a nutritionist but have dieted several of my dogs over 40+ years of dog ownership and even now with the three I have it is work in progress as they are speyed bitches. I can therefore only speak from experience.

Mixing foods:
IMHO mixing foods as you are doing now muddies the water somewhat and I believe that you would get the best results by deciding whether you are going to feed kibble or raw. You will then know what does/doesn’t work and the exact quantities that you need to give. The amount you are giving now seems rather high to me. Coaster has helpfully provided an ideal weight for a Cocker (14.5kg) so for a raw only diet at 2% of body weight he should be getting no more than 290g. However, you don’t say what kind of raw diet you are giving - some can be high in fat which may not advantageous.

Low fat/high protein:
A few years ago my little dog needed to lose 1kg. At that time raw diet was not trendy. I talked to an adviser at James Wellbeloved and she told me that a diet that is low in fat, high in protein helps in weight control. I used their Light version and added in lean protein such as cooked chicken. IIRC I gave it at a lower amount than the RDA. It took six months but the dog did lose the weight and apart from a blip when she went onto a particular type of raw, she has kept it off. Some people say that it is carbohydrate that puts weight on but I can only speak from my own experience. However, dogs need fat so it’s best not to be too low.

Raw:
A raw diet can help you achieve weight loss but it needs to be the right type of raw (you don’t say exactly what you are feeding). My dog seemed OK on Nutriment Light but rapidly gained weight when I transferred her onto the Working variety. I had to reduce it to less than 2% of body weight which did not satisfy her hunger. For some time she had Natures Menu Country Hunter nuggets (which are lower in fat) and I had to increase it over time because she was losing weight. I know that Tinyplanets had the same experience with her dog. This is why I think that if you want to stick with raw then do so but choose carefully. I would go with one of the complete meal companies and seek their advice. Remember that the amount should be set at 2% of the body weight that you want the dog to be.

Dry food:
Eden is a good food but if you decide to stick with it then have a word with the staff. The fat level of Eden is comparatively high at 19.6% and if you can only give small amounts it may not satisfy your dog’s hunger so it may be necessary to bulk it up with cooked vegetables. A few years ago I tried two of my dogs on a high quality kibble which was similar to Eden in the analysis and they very quickly put weight on so I learned from that experience that this kind of formula doesn’t work for two of my speyed bitches. Arguably, this kind of food is more suitable for young, working, high activity, high energy dogs. However, there are lots of pet dogs who do very well on them. It is a case of getting the quantity right. I may be wrong but maybe 1% of the desired weight might be a good place to start. It can be increased or decreased by 10% stages as required. However, chat to the staff first.

If you decide to use dry food but want to source a light version i.e. low fat, we can help you in this by using the Dog Food Directory. My three are currently having cold pressed food which is the low side of average in fat. With added lean protein their weight control is good.

Exercise:
On the subject of exercise, it is tempting to give a lot of exercise to try to shift the weight but please don’t. It sounds as if your dog is struggling so I would urge you not to push him because he is considerably overweight and it might strain his heart and joints. Also, it is not advisable to exercise dogs in this warm weather. Short, frequent walks, perhaps in the morning/evening when it is cool would be more appropriate. When he has got down to a better weight he will feel equal to exercise and that will make the task easier and more enjoyable for you both.

Please post back with your thoughts about the advice we have given. Many people do not respond to their threads but we are always interested to hear about a dog’s progress. Also, your experience might help others in the same situation.

2 Likes

Some really good advice from Dottie…clearly years of learned experience very well developed into great advice.

Luckily I hàve as yet not had to manage anything over than minor weight adjustments to our dogs.

If a veterinary based weight loss clinic is not an option then do re-weigh your dog & log data at regular intervals.

Owner updates would be of interest & appreciated.

100g per day of Eden would the the approximate!ate feeding amount for a 7kg un-neutered adult.

It concerns me if your dog is 27kg and not losing weight at an overly rapid rate on such a small amount of food.

For a 17kg dog I would expect about 200g per day of Eden (and 400-450g raw), maybe reduced by 10% to help weight loss.

Unless the information has become confused I would ask you to speak to your vet to check there are no underlying illnesses.

Please feel free to contact us directly via Facebook, Twitter, Email or phone to discuss things further and maybe clarify the situation

1 Like

Thank you for your post. The probem is that the OP is mixing food - she is giving 100g of Eden plus 200g raw and we do not know what type of raw food it is. As you see by my post, I did advise her to contact your company for support in this issue.

The question was how many grammes per day. The reply was Eden OR raw, rather than plus raw. This is why I think a brief one to one chat could help resolve the matter fairly quickly. If it is Eden for one meal and Raw from the other, the 10% reduction leaving 2 weeks to assess changes is still applicable to both meals , so 90g Eden and 180g raw.

As a rough guide, 100g raw is approximately 45g Eden but it can vary a little depending of the exact recipes used, as you mentioned.

Also, neutered dogs also generally need 10% less food, the industry standard formulae for feed amounts show this, and other factors such as individual activity levels, stress, age, seasons (weather conditions) etc can also affect how much to feed. Any feeding guide should be used as little more than a starting point and the daily amounts fine tuned as required using the body score charts (there is one in the info pages on this site) as a guide. Adults should be kept close to 3/5, puppies may fall as low as 2.5 after a growth spurt and that is the time to add 10% more. Greater than 3 is always undesirable and should have a 10% reduction . We always advise to feed for the desired weight, unless the amount to be lost is significant, then it may be better to go in stages, slow gradual weight change is best

I hope the OP will get in touch so we can clarify things and help get her dog back to a healthy weight.

1 Like