Rescue Lurcher - Bow Legged - Calcium Rich Diet?

Hi there,

This is my first post to this forum. I hope to become a regular - but be gentle!

From the top, I grew up with family pets being fed supermarket brands. Over time I have come to realise that there are other ways and I’m keen to ensure that with my own pup I can build a really solid understanding of his nutrition.

He is a male lurcher, approx 10 weeks. We collect him next weekend. He is bow legged in front - the RSPCA onsite vet assures us that this is common in Lurchers and related to his growth spurts. They have told me that he alternates from one to another week on week, and they straighten/bend seemingly of their own accord.

A little bit of trusty google research has revealed that less protein & more calcium will help ensure his bones straighten.

I’m a little out of my depth, but eager to learn. How can I ensure he has a calcium rich diet that is nutritious and affordable?

I am interested in feeding raw but haven’t got the freezer capacity to stock up.

Looking forward to your responses & thanks in advance

X

Hello and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new puppy and I hope that you will have a long and happy relationship. I have to confess that I am a bit out of my depth with your query, the reason being that I have no experience of large breed dogs. However, I have heard that to prevent growth spurts and potential joint damage it is best not to give a high protein diet to such puppies. Instinctively I feel that it would be best if you made contact with one (or more) of the dedicated Lurcher groups on Facebook or even contacted one of the Lurcher rescue organisations. These people are usually very experienced in their breed and are therefore in a position to give you breed specific advice. However, keep an eye on this forum because we have at least one member who is also experienced in Greyhounds/Lurchers. With any luck she will pop in and have a word.