Why Are Oats A Medium Quality Ingredient?

Could you let me know why oats are rated a medium quality ingredient? For humans, oats are considered a good carb source because they’re gluten free and have a low glycemic index…

Thank you!

This website has these ingredient grades which are there to help the owner to choose a suitable product for their pet:

*** Low grade - Low grade, controversial or vague ingredient we usually recommend avoiding.

• Medium quality ingredient - nutritionally adequate and unlikely to cause any problems.
  • High quality ingredient with abundant beneficial nutrients.**

Here is David’s review of oats.
David gives it this score because oats has some nutritional benefits but not as many as, say brown rice.
Are you querying this score? Do you think it should be higher or lower? If so, please let me know and I can pass your message on to David.

2 Likes

Hi Dottie,

Thanks for the reply. I don’t know if the rating for oats should definitely be higher but they’re in a lot of human health foods and are widely promoted to us for their benefit to nutrition and health which makes me think that they have similar benefits for dogs.

They could also be considered a novel carbohydrate for dogs with sensitivities to rice etc

Thanks,
Rachael

1 Like

Thank you for the explanation. Thinking of your comment re novel carbohydrate got me wondering if there are any dry dog foods that contain just oats. Most companies use oats and something else such as rice. Maybe that’s one for a rainy day! LOL

1 Like

Rachael - I came across this article today. It is the website of an American magazine called ‘Animal Wellness.’ The title of this particular page is ‘Are Grains Good For Your Dog’ and I thought you might be interested in the section about oats:

[i]Oats are one of the world’s healthiest foods. They are nutrient dense and provide sustained energy. They contain manganese, selenium, tryptophan, phosphorus, vitamin B1, dietary fiber, magnesium and protein. Oats contain a special type of fiber called beta-glucan, which lowers cholesterol and helps reduce the risk of heart disease, and supports the immune system against bacterial infections, viruses, fungi and parasites. Betaglucans help stabilize blood sugar levels and inhibit the growth of tumors. Oats contain 20 unique polyphenols called avenanthramides, which have potent antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and even anti-itching properties. Adding oat bran to your animal’s daily diet is an easy way to give him valuable fiber, and additional support if anal glands or hairballs are a problem.[/i]