Advice wanted re food for three dogs

I am wanting some advice re: dog foods. I have a 12 year old whippet, 1 year old cocker spaniel and 4 year old saluki greyhound. I have tried numerous foods and not had any luck. I have tried raw, currently on eden however my dogs have lost weight and don’t look as healthy as I would have imagined on such an expensive and good quality food. I am really struggling looking for another food. Anybody share any help/advice/ good quality foods for a reasonable price given I have 3 dogs to feed!!!
Thanks guys!

Hello and welcome to the forum. I have split your post to make a new thread. Please can you let us know what you have tried and what type of food you require? Do you prefer dry food and are you looking for the same product for all three dogs? Did they all lose weight on Eden and were you feeding the recommended daily allowance (weighed)?

Over the last few years I have tried the the wet grain free wainwrights trays which I was tempted to try again. I switched from this to go for raw duck and tripe with 20% bone and sometimes mixed with oatmeal so it was nice and warm for them but again I didn’t feel it was giving the dogs what they needed. I have tried the tinned wet tripe which just makes my dogs have the runs. Dry kibble is the one I am looking to go as when I work long days and my sister looks after my dogs it is easier for her to do ( she will be pleased as she wasn’t a fan of the raw stuff!!).
I have tried Arden Grange, Skinners but after looking at reviews was put off. In regards to the Eden dog food I have been feeding over the recommended amount because of the condition they have lost! It is the mainly my whippet and saluki I have noticed the weight loss, my cocker spaniel isn’t that fussy. She has previously been fed on Ava but I was advised the nutritional content for dogs wasn’t that great so changed her onto Eden swell. Again, she isn’t underweight but has lost condition. They are fairly active dogs and go on 3 walks a day most days, but are always pottering around at the stables when I am there. I have been giving them scrambled egg and salmon oil in addition just to try and give them extra supplements.

Ideally I want my 3 dogs on the same food. I don’t mind dry kibble and some wet food in addition now and again, I just want them to be healthy!!! I find it such a stress with dod food!!!

Amybright - have you looked at cold pressed food? There are a few on the market now and we have a thread on them here. The Markus Muhle varieties include the two UK companies Gentle and Guru. Their staff will be able to advise. Usually the RDA is 1% to 1.2% of the dog’s ideal body weight.

It sounds as if your dogs are quite active so you will probably need 1.2% maintenance but you can increase that if necessary. Eden is an excellent food but maybe your dogs need extra carbohydrate in view of their activity levels. You can enhance with some home cooked food if you want to add variety although they are complete - link. If you choose protein foods to enhance it should help to increase weight.

1 Like

Hi Dottie! Thanks for responding. Do you know if this type of food
Is available to buy online
Or what shops it can be bought from?
Thanks.
I think I’m
Going to give it a try x

Within each product in the Dog Food Directory there is a shop now link which locates the retailers who stock it.
Gentle and Guru sell through their own websites. Zooplus and Bitiba sell various types, mostly Markus Muhle. Have a look at the aforementioned cold pressed food thread for more information.

My advice would be to contact a nutritionist and get a specific recommendation. I was in the same shoes as you with two Labradors, tried lots of different foods but nothing quite suited.
Arden Grange have a great nutritionist, highly recommended.
Also Millies Wolfheart have nutritionists who will help you.