Cockapoo puppy - feeding advice please!!

Hi there,

I’m brand new to the forum (Hello!) and would really appreciate some advice on cockapoo food.

Cooper is 3 months old and was fed Purina via the breeder. He’s still on it but we want him off it!! I’ve had a look at the very helpful guide here on what the best brands are for your dog but there isn’t an option for cockapoos - the closest is cocker spaniel - ok to use this as a guide?

I’d like to get him on a cold pressed dog food with some fruit, veg and chicken included to make up the advise daily weight. Is that an ok thing to do? So confused about weights etc as weight of dry food does not equate to a nice piece of chicken or some apple!!!

Any advice gratefully received!

Many thanks,

Paula

Hello and welcome to the forum. Cold pressed food is a good choice. We have a thread on them and it would probably be useful if you had a look at it. Companies often recommend a recommended daily allowance of 1% to 1.2% of the dog’s body weight (adult dogs). Puppies need more and the RDA is circa 2.5% of body weight. However, you could check with the staff before you purchase. Adding a bit of suitable home cooked food is perfectly acceptable and would go well with cp food but remember to reduce the RDA to take account of it. Loose poo/diarrhoea can result from overfeeding. It is very important that you weigh the food accurately as it is dense and the amount tends to be smaller than that of kibble.

Cold pressed food is generic and should suit all breeds, big or small. It is very different from kibble and your dog might need to transition gradually over several days or even up to two weeks. Please let us know how you get on and if you need any further help.

Dottie,
Fantastic information and advice, thanks so much. Removes a lot of confusion! Will take a look at the post.

Many thanks

1 Like