Daily Mail Weekend magazine 8th November 2014

The Daily Mail supplement today has a feature on ‘How to have a happy dog’. Apparently it is the beginning of a series and whether intended or not, it coincides with Discover Dogs at Earls Court this weekend. Anyway, there is a two page splash on our favourite subject - dog food. It is extracted from the book Top Dog by Kate Bendix. I don’t know anything about the book but it is published by Short Books at £20. Until 30th November 2014 it is on offer at £16 at mailbookshop.co.uk.

I’ve had a quick read of the article and cannot find anything to disagree with so far. On the contrary, it is quite straightforward and sensible. There is a clear list of foods that are dangerous for your dog and the ingredients they love. The author prefers to cook for her dogs and I love her description of this:
“Above all, remember that cooking for dogs isn’t MasterChef: there won’t be any steely-eyed stares, and your dog won’t critique your use of flavours. He’ll be too busy stuffing his face.” Point taken and one with which most of us will perhaps agree.

Page 76/77 contains recipes for home made dog food. I like the names:
Apple & Cheese Treats
Barking Mad Birthday Cake
Doggie Con Carne
Fish Dish for Your Mutt
Pooches Picnic Muffins

The article is here. It is well worth the read.

2 Likes

Thanks for that. I do enjoy baking different treats for the dog. OH often complains that I don’t bake for him ;D

Many thanks Dottie. Great article. Just shared it on the Facebook page.