My little Bucks the Blue Frenchie

Hi all

Just a quick hello and I hope you don’t find it rude as this is my first post asking questions. I have a little blue Frenchie named Bucks, he is our pride and joy as you can see via our photos. He’s 22 weeks old, weighs 10kgs atm, vet seemed happy with him and his weight at this age, now my knowledge is stretched at this point as my nan who’s no longer with us bless her used to breed many types of dogs when I was younger and she was the doggie guru,

Currently I’m feeding Bucks Nature’s Menu Raw bites Puppy food, he’s on about 70g 3 times a day, he was getting the usual Frenchie favourites, Bananas, Melon, Apple moderately not excessively which has currently been cut out due to these little hard lumps that have appeared on him all over. The vet we took him too didn’t seem to know too much about them and said it’s nothing to worry about but to me that is something to worry about has he seems to get little bald patches from these hives, he’s had his usual worming treatment/flea medication etc and it seems theses little lumps haven’t left him yet so all I can think it would be is the food?

Now my question is if I’m to change his food what could anyone suggest? And secondly does anyone know what these lumps and bumps could be?

Thank you for your help!

James

Hello and welcome to the forum. I am not familiar with this breed and I don’t know what these bumps could be. They could be something to do with the breed itself so I am wondering if it would be helpful to either discuss this with the breeder or contact someone from the French Bulldog Club of England. There may be a breed specific forum or Facebook group so perhaps look there as well.

Regarding food, you have chosen a good quality one. I doubt whether this condition is anything to do with the food but if you want to try something else so that you can be certain it is not diet related, I think your dog will have fewer problems if you transition to a good quality wet food. There are quite a few on the market these days and they can be easily found using the filters on the Dog Food Directory. I am thinking of something like Forthglade or maybe Naturo. Both of these can be bought from the big supermarkets so you can trial them without buying in bulk and spending too much money on something that might not be helpful.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I agree with Dottie that you may find out if this is an issue with the breed by asking in groups or forums for French bulldogs. There are also lots of other possible causes such as mites or seasonal allergy.

I also agree that if you want to explore the food route, the ones Dottie has mentioned are a good start as they have fewer ingredients. You would need to be quite strict about any extras while trying new things out. Best to introduce new ingredients slowly if the problem does clear up with a change of food.

Hi all

Thank you for your time and messages about Bucks and his little issue. We have changed his food gradually to fishmongers finest. As I said I had some knowledge from my nan when she used to breed frenchies and alsations on our Equestrian farm when I was a young lad but unfortunately she parted us 2 years back bless her!. It could be poultry issue being that the true instinct is free range chicken and they are fed grain. We see how he does with this and then we will introduce slowly his fruit and vegetables he liked as treats. He seems to like the food and try’s his best to eat it as fast as he can despite being in a slow feeder lol. I will post again to see how his diet is going and if it clears up,

Again thank you

1 Like