Advice for overweight Saluki

Hi, we have a beautiful Saluki girl who we rescued several years ago, she’s about 9 now. Weve been feeding her Rocco wet food, 1/2 tin in the morning and Markus Muhle dry in the evening with one of either salmon oil (2 squirts), a tsp of Greek yogurt or a raw egg throughout the week to add some variation. We alson add 1 scoop of Riaflex to her morning meal.
She has two walks a day but doesn’t run around anymore. We give her a small natural treat after each walk but that’s it.
She has mild arthritis and has started Librela injections and we’re very keen to help her lose weight. Apart from this she’s healthy and has regular yearly vet checks including full bloods.
We dont know how else to help her and have chatted to the vet who agrees her diet seems reasonable and suggested looking for a good quality food that will keep her feeling full with fewer calories.
We are on a very tight budget atm and need her food to be less than £1 per day.
Any suggestions gratefully received?
Ps we dont have much freezer space

1 Like

Welcome to AADF,
I think your best option is to do the meal plan on AADF you can put her weight age and budget and it will give you your best options.
There are plenty of good quality dog foods out there but depending on her weight you may find it hard to get a dog food for £1 or under per day
I use AVA sensitive skin and stomach for my 29.7kg border colllie which is 15kg and £54.99 per bag and lasts around 6 weeks maybe alittle longer.
They also do a weight management one and you can save a few pounds by using the subscription service.
Hope this helps and you find something for your girl :pray:

1 Like

Also you can use vegetables as a treat it is alot less calories and healthy for them :wink:

1 Like

Thank you Liz86, I’ll definitely do the meal plan and see what options are there. I think the difficulty we have is finding something that fills her enough but has fewer calories, she won’t eat any fruit or veg, just spits them out.
Thanks again, really appreciated!

It sounds like you’re doing a wonderful job caring for your Saluki, especially considering her age and health conditions. For a budget-friendly food option that maintains quality while helping her lose weight, look for high-fibre dry dog food brands that promote satiety and have lower calorie content. Brands like Purina Pro Plan or Hill’s Science Diet often provide formulas specifically designed for weight management. Look for options that list whole meats as the first ingredient and avoid fillers like corn or soy. You could also consider supplementing her meals with vegetables like green beans or carrots, which are low in calories and high in fibre. This can help fill her up without adding too many calories. Just ensure any new food changes are introduced gradually to avoid digestive upset. Keep consulting with your vet to adjust her routine as needed, especially as her condition evolves.