Advice please for feeding tricky labrador

Good morning, I am looking for advice to help me feed my tricky Labrador. I’ll try and keep this as short as possible but there is some relevant history.
My Labrador is 7 years old. When he was 10 weeks old, he had an emergency op to remove something blocking his intestine that he had swallowed. The vet agrees there may well be scar tissue causing the problem.
Murph likes his food. We fed him solely on dry food for years, Harrington’s, then Tails for a short while, then Millie’s Wolfheart. All of them he would stop eating after a while, start to vomit, get lethargic. Go the vets, nothing wrong. They thought it was probably the dry food blocking him up because his intestine may well be more narrow than it should be because of the scar tissue that may well be there. We’d change his food. Off we’d go again. Recently I decided to try soft food, I bought the best I could afford which was Butchers. He’s a changed dog. He loves it. Can’t wait for dinner time. He gets 1 1/2 cans twice a day. But he’s starving hungry, losing weight and often has diarrhoea. The vet just suggests their own super expensive food that I can’t afford ongoing and Murph doesn’t really like. I’d pay it if he loved it but he really doesn’t. I thought about soaking a small amount of kibble to go in with his soft food. Anybody got any ideas which one I should try?

Sounds like he may need a bit more carbohydrate in his food if hes still hungry after his meat.Is butchers a compleate meal? Does he appear to have food intolerances , can you look at trying hydrolysed food and see may be a cimpleate diet as it must be a worry loosing weight.
I hope you can get him sorted the poor thing as its awful tos see one of your family suffer.

1 Like

Hi there
Thanks for your reply.
Yes Butchers is supposed to be a complete food but it doesn’t look like there’s much carbohydrate in there. I soaked some Harrington’s dry food overnight last night, just about a cup full and fed it soft this morning with a can of Butchers. I’m going to try this for a while and see how he goes. Fingers crossed. I can increase the Harrington’s and/or Butchers if I need to.
He’s such a soft creature, much loved. I hate to see him so hungry and he looks thin :pensive:

He’s definatly up to date with worming tape worms ect

Yes, all up to date. Fleas and ticks too. I think it’s the diarrhoea that’s made him lose weight. Hopefully this new food regime will work and he’ll bulk up a bit. We’ve always been conscious to keep his weight down being a Labrador but this has gone beyond what I’m comfortable with. Thanks for your input, much appreciated :blush::+1:t2:

Hi,
Have you tried giving him some extra fibre to harden his stools.
I have a 7 month old dogue-de-bordeaux that had runny poo for ages the vets were desperate to do all these test and saying he has parasites etc.
I then had a chat with my only vet through my insurance and they said try weetabixs for a few days with his food and see what happens.
Bam sorted no more runny poo (unless he gets hold.of things hes not meaht to have) and a very happy pup.
You can also try the soaking food but bare in mind it can make the bloat.
You can also try vegetables to give him a bit more nutrients it a fab bulker but is really healthy and doesn’t put lots of weight on them.
Good luck and I hope this really helps.

Thank you for that, one of his favourite things is Weetabix so I’ll try adding one to his dinner :+1:t2:

How did the weetabixs go down?

Morning, you were right! We’ve been giving him 2 Weetabix softened with some warm water and his soft food every morning and the diarrhoea seems to have improved enormously. Thanks for the tip, fingers crossed it keeps working. He looks better already, he’s put on a bit of weight and he’s back to his normal self, not so starving hungry either. I’m really grateful for the advice and so’s Murph!

1 Like

For feeding a tricky Labrador, try offering a consistent schedule with high-quality, enticing food. Use positive reinforcement to encourage eating and consult your vet for personalized advice if issues persist.

1 Like

I’m so glad it helped him bless him hope he carrys on doing well :blush:

Good morning! It sounds like Murph has had quite a journey with his diet, and it’s great that you’re looking out for his well-being. Given his history, it’s understandable why you’re cautious about what he eats.

Since Murph seems to thrive on soft food but is still losing weight and having digestive issues, finding a balanced solution is key. Adding a small amount of soaked kibble to his soft food could be a good approach, as it might help him feel fuller and get the nutrition he needs without causing blockages.

Here are a few suggestions:

1. Hydrating Kibble: Choose a high-quality, easily digestible kibble designed for sensitive stomachs. Brands like Hill’s Science Diet or Royal Canin offer sensitive stomach formulas that can be soaked in warm water to create a softer consistency. This might make it easier for Murph to digest while still providing the nutrients he needs.
  2. Mixing with Soft Food: Gradually mix the soaked kibble with his soft food. Start with a small amount to see how Murph tolerates it. You can increase the amount over time if he seems to do well.
  3. Nutrient-Dense Options: Consider adding a bit of pumpkin or sweet potato to his diet. These are gentle on the stomach and can help with digestion and weight management.
  4. Caloric Intake: Since Murph is losing weight, you might need to increase his caloric intake. Look for a soft food that is higher in calories or consider supplementing his meals with vet-approved toppers that can add extra nutrition.
  5. Monitor and Adjust: Keep an eye on Murph’s weight and digestion as you make changes. If his diarrhoea persists or he continues to lose weight, it might be worth discussing alternative options with your vet.

While vet-recommended foods can be expensive, there are often similar over-the-counter options that might suit Murph better and fit your budget.

Good luck, and I hope Murph continues to enjoy his meals while staying healthy!

1 Like

Thank you, great advice there. Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed response, I really appreciate it.
I have bought a tummy-sensitive kibble and we soak about a cup full ahead of dinner time and add a can of the soft food to it. At breakfast time he gets two weetabix softened with warm water and a can of food. He also gets two tablespoons of kefir probiotic yogurt which a friend suggested. We give him veggies left over from dinner if we have any. He is definitely doing well on this diet, it feels a bit of an odd combination but if it works, I’m happy. He’s put on a bit of weight so he looks more himself, the diarrhoea seems to have stopped and he’s not so hungry. So all in all, I think all the suggestions I got here have been fabulous, really helpful and I’m so grateful.