bought a new food.... Thoughts?

Hi

I had been feeding my 10 month old Pomeranian pro plan and was shocked to see how bad it actually is! Swapped him straight away onto a grain free food from my local pet shop. It isn’t listed on here so I just wondered if anyone could advise me on the quality of it? The ingredients are…

50% salmon and trout (36%fresh salmon and trout, 12% dried salmon and 2% fish stock), sweet potato, pees, potato, beet pulp, linseed, vitamins and minerals, veg stock, omega 3 supplements, asparagus (7.5g per kg product), FOS (92mg/kg), MOS (23mg/kg)

26% crude protein
14% crude oils and fats
3% crude fibre
8% crude ash
1.34% calcium
Phosphorus 0.94%
Omega 6 0.95%
Omega 3 3.41%

Thanks in advance!

Hello and welcome to the forum. Well done for looking at the ingredient lists and for checking them out. I am assuming that the grain free food is a white label product (there is a thread on them somewhere here on the forum). I have just put your new food through the Instant Review Generator and it scored 3.8 out of 5 stars. I’ve found the Generator fairly accurate when I have used it in the past. Looking at the recipe I would say that you have made a good choice.

Not a bad food at all & I believe it is one I looked at myself before.

I agree it looks like a white label food (sold as various names but made by one manufacturer). I believe (but cannot be certain) Golden Acre (GA) make this.

Beet Pulp bothers some owners albeit yet to see anything to convince me it is an issue despite occasional mixed views.

I have seen alleged comments re certain white label margins but the reaility is margins also exist with other branded foods.

In any case, relatively speaking you won’t be feeding much quantity compared to owners of many other dog breeds.

1 Like

It is white label and I can highly recommend it. Comes in Turkey, Lamb, Salmon & Trout and Pork as well as a Light, Puppy and Senior. We’ve sold it since it launched last year, it is very popular and we have seen the benefits in many of the dogs that are on it. Pork is the most popular. As to margins, there is no RRP and there is the cost of delivery to be taken into account so different places may charge different prices - but we sell it at around 33% less than other grain free high meat content foods. Feeding amount guidelines are very similar too.
Just been on another part of the website and the food is reviewed as 4.1 out of 5. Dont know where the RRP is from, as I said there is no RRP.

1 Like

I can remember you saying how well you were doing selling this particular product. The range is a good one and it is easy to give a little variety due to having four products in it. For anyone who is unable to purchase these products as white label, I have seen them on Amazon but under the brand name Country Kibble. On the Dog Food Directory it would seem that Walking the Dog is the identical product.

Pegasus,

I have zero issue with sellers having profit margins & I accept they are generally essential to business , however, I am unsure if prices of this food can significantly vary dependant on seller &/or labelling.(I also accept there are margins with non white labelled foods). It is the potential for price variation of identical bag content that would be my interest.

If I was buying this food my cost effective purchase decision would be to compare costs charged with delivery by various sellers if they were essentially selling the same thing. Customer service is also a consideration.

I accept your comments re it being 33% lower price than other “grain free high meat content foods” albeit you dont name “the others” or their prices making it not possible to compare & evaluate products against each other relative to cost & composition. I also note this appears to be a 50/50 kibble. Nothing wrong with that ratio, (& I accept some dogs do better on this than higher meat content foods), however 50/50 kibbles sometimes retail lower than kibbles with a higher meat percentage. The term “high meat content” arguably covers a wide spectrum of percentaged composition albeit I accept the content in the food mentioned here is higher than in many other kibbles. ( I accept 50℅ is respectable, far better than many & meat content percentages have only increased significantly across some of the industry more recently).

I have no reason to dislike this food & would not criticise anyone for feeding or selling it if sourced at an acceptable price to concerned parties.

Just to refocus on the OP… labelled composition/ingredients seem to indicate this is a good food for needs of many & far better than many other foods out there in my opinion. I must clarify that I have never fed it though.

Quite a high protein content I see! Soon after I first came across this site and also when my dog was still quite young (just after she was 1 year I think) I tried her on Eden, a 5* rated food. It had a disastrous effect on her and practically ran straight though her. I quickly took her off it and converted to something with a lower protein content and she her stools became much better almost instantly.

It’s interesting that you say the pork is the most popular variety. I’d always been led to believe that pork isn’t particularly good for dogs?

1 Like

Re Price; the delivery price meant the price of getting the food from factory gate to the shop, not to the customer - hence variation in price charged.
Re Country Kibble - not sure about this, as it says it is a VAT free food even though it is not classed as working dog food.
Re Pork - I mentioned this as best seller as we too were surprised at its popularity - check out the ingredients list on AADF to see thoughts on pork
26% plus meat content = ‘premium’, 50% plus = ‘high meat’ and then there’s 80/20

2 Likes

Hi Silverb19

I saw you mentioned problems with Eden. Did you contact us to discuss the problem? often we find that the changeover has been too fast, or the feeding amounts not reduced enough to account for the higher kcal/kg, and both of these can cause the problem you describe, there can also be other issues, and we are usually able to help customers resolve the problems.