Do you feed treats to your dog?

Hi Lou

No I haven’t tried many of their treats as they seem a bit expensive compared to others such as fish4dogs or zooplus especially as my lot are big dogs who get through them pretty quickly.

You could look at Skippers Pet Products for fishy treats, their sea jerky squares for example are about £10 cheaper than Fish4Dogs and they’re air dried too rather than cooked, they have lots of bits Fish4Dogs don’t do as well.

I might have to look into one of these dehydrators you guys are talking about, what’s a fair price to pay for one and how much room do they take up?

1 Like

I use Natures Menu chicken treats when out on walks and to persuade my younger border terrier to handover the ball! Find that it has to be a high value treat to get them interested.

Have also found myself giving packets to Max the Rottweiler outside London’s Euston Square station as he has a wheat allergy and his owner who lives on the streets tells me she has now totally switched to grain free food and he has lost 2 Kg already (he was a bit plump!).

I always feed treats to my dog as it is an integral part of rewards based training. However, I make sure that I reduce her daily allowance of dry food to counter this.

The treats I feed Maja depends on the training and what I want her to do. If it is simple come, stay, sit, shake, down etc. then I’ll use her dry biscuits if I can get away with it. However, if she’s cottoned onto the fact that she’s being conned or we’re doing more advanced training such as emergency recall, blind recall, tricks etc. then I’ll use pieces of dried venison, naturesmenu freeze dried treats, thrive dried chicken, liver, duck and for the ultimate training I use the ultimate treats Orijen freeze dried treats.

All of my foods and treats have to be grain free and hypoallergenic as standard so it costs a fortune but are well worth it.

I feed treats generally after a walk. I do tend to have biscuits in my pocket if we’re taking him to the pub :slight_smile:

I tend to buy the pets at home markie equivalent and gravy bones.

He loved the peanut butter sticks from pets at home.

I give him a fairly big piece of carrot once a day which he loves.

He’s just had a walk, some carrot and is now asleep on the rug

Some super healthy home made treats that I make are a variation on a popular treat with added ingredients and my dog loves them.

It’s a super enhanced Tuna loaf treat which I make into 1cm cubes (just right for training treats) in silicone mould.

I use 3 cans of Tuna in oil, Turmeric Paste (or golden paste as it is known), ground Chia seeds and Linseed, Diatomaceous Earth (natural de wormer), 1/2 tsp of minced garlic (also a natural de wormer) and wholewheat flour mixed in equal quantities to add up to 160g, and finally two eggs.

The silicone moulds are great and make 160 1cm cubes which I bag up and put in the freezer just taking out a handful at a time to take with me on walks. They take 4 mins to cook in the microwave. If you are interested in the moulds just look up 160 cube moulds on eBay. Just under £2 each. Mine took 2 weeks to arrive from China.

2 Likes

Oooh thanks for the tray tip they look really good. I home cook and cut it up to make a kibble type food to put in food balls, empty bottle etc. They’ll be great for getting them the same size.
How sad am I getting excited about making dog food cubes ;D

LOL not sad at all. It’s great fun. And the moulds are useful. I know of others who use bone or paw shaped moulds for making doggie biscuits.

Since mine has so many intolerances but we use loads of treats to work on tricks but also with his dog reactivity issues, I buy strips of 100% meat. They sell two or three different brands of those in Germany, but none here in the UK (at least not at pets at home), so I order frm zooplus. They only have Dokkas, which are a bit pricier, but oh well. It’s just on the safe side as it is only meat. I cut the stripes in small pieces.

He does not get any other “treats” really. I tried pig ears for a while but he did not tolerate them well. I may try and buy some rabbit ears or something and try that, but I think it’s the fat that is causing troubles.

Katrinh - have you tried sea jerky? Mine get one or two Tiddlers from Fish4Dogs each day - it helps keep their teeth clean. This week it’s treat time as they have a packet of sea jerky wraps - they have a piece of sweet potato in the middle and are seriously crunchy. There are other companies that sell it - one that I know of is Skippers in Grimsby.

They sound interesting Dottie. I shall have to look into those myself. I use a product like Plaque Off to soften the plaque on Indies teeth, but she really needs something to clean it off. The plaque isn’t to much, but could really do with something to finish the job. I haven’t tried brushing, but she’s such a wuss with everything including having her fur brushed, I don’t think she’d stay put for it.

Have you tried dried tripe cut into tiny pieces as training treats? Its really smelly so a small piece works well, also tripe is easy on the stomach

Actually I love cooking and making treats for my dog he never complains about how it looks or smells unlike some humans in the house ;D The neighbours dog also loves to come and visit for treats

i love my boy and like to think he loves me as much in return but i don’t know where i would be without treats XD treats are a definite middle man in are relationship . all that sed i do also like to know what i am feeding my dog , i don’t like the idea of giving him the equivalent of a chocolate bar full of fat and chemicals and little to no nutrition ( little bit hypocritical maybe as he definitely eats better then i do ) . he gets alot of the raw based treats like dried fish / fish jerky , pigs ears , carrot sticks and any other vejitabul i can trick him in to accepting ( he’s not to sure on these weird non meat things XD just like most two year old’s he is a picky eater ) as you can guess he loves all types of meat weather dried , puffed , frozen (aspeshaly in summer ) or full raw . though this has coresd some problem as when i brought him home at 8 weeks old i quickly discovered his food aggression problems , meat / animal products were his biggest trigger. this meant i had to scowere the shelves for a training treat that would still keep his interest and be as clean / natural as possible but not set him off . i just wish i had known about this sight then . natures menu little bags of treats worked well , fish jerky and dried sprats were also good but i could only really use these when there no other dogs around so for the purpose of puppy classes i had to give in any buy some of the treats i had tried to avoid like gravy bones . . though one day at puppy class id forgotten / lost my treat pouch and the trainer had to give me some thing to use ended up being chopped up hot-dog sausages and cheese , he loved every bit of it XD and to my surprise didn’t end up with an upset tummy or reacting so used that a few other times to . since then iv bean a little more open to using other types of treats though the most part they are still raw based :slight_smile:

My staffy Thanos absolutely loves to chew on antlers. However, it gives him ungodly gas which he always likes to blame on his brother :o. Has anyone tried similar treats that don’t have this effect?

Two of my dogs chew antlers and do not have flatus as a result. I wonder if there is something in his diet that is causing this? Seems more likely than the antler.

Thanks for the suggestion! Just recently tried a different type (elk antlers) and so far so good! I’m guessing it was just that particular type of antler that didn’t agree with his digestive system then. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey hello guys!
I am new in the forum. Sorry if I don’t get it right, need to get used to it.
I am working on a new snack for dogs and cats. It’s been one year since we are working on it. It’s super innovative and environmental friendly
stuff + of course awesome for dogs health.
I prepared a questionnaire and I’m looking for feedback.
It’s going to help us in launching the product and understand what are the general thoughts on it. Of course if you have more questions just ping me!
Can I copy paste the link here? How do I do?

Thanks!!

Hello and welcome to the forum. I see that you have started another thread in the treats section - here. It would be helpful if you could use that one for your questionnaire and yes, you can post a link to it or you can start a poll if that would be appropriate.

Wookie only ever has home made treats. There are dozens of great recipes for them, and i know exactly what she is eating!

They are so cheap and easy to make too!

1 Like