Eden Semi-Moist Duck and Tripe

Hello
I’ve just placed an order for Eden’s new semi moist food. I’ve copied + pasted the details below.
It’s a 60/40 food rather than a 80/20. I thought that I’d give it a try for a change.
Has anyone tried this?
I’ll let you know what the girls think :slight_smile:

Soft and gentle to eat.
Freshly Prepared Duck and Tripe.
Superfoods; Coconut Oil, Cranberry, Garlic,
Green Lipped Mussel and Spirulina.
Made in Great Britain with British ingredients.
Free from artificial colours and flavours.
Eden is formulated without cereals, rice, seeds or beet pulp.
Additional herbs, vitamins and minerals supporting the body’s natural balance.
Supplements including Glucosamine, Chondroitin
and MSM to support joint health.

Details
Metabolisable Energy: 3150 kCal/kg
Composition: Freshly Prepared Duck (37%), Dried Duck (18%), Sweet Potato, Glycerine, Freshly Prepared Tripe (4%), Tapioca, Chickpea Flour, Duck Liver (2%), Lucerne, Coconut Oil (0.37%), Minerals, Vitamins, Dried Pumpkin, Seaweed Oil, Dried Apple, Garlic Powder (0.07%), Green Lipped Mussel (0.07%), Dried Cranberry (0.04%), Spirulina (0.04%), Fructooligosaccharides (480 mg/kg), Glucosamine (350 mg/kg), MSM (350 mg/kg), Chondroitin Sulphate (250 mg/kg).

Analytical Constituents: Crude Protein: 20%, Crude Oils and Fats: 13%, Crude Fibres: 2.3%, Crude Ash: 8.5%, Moisture: 18%, Omega 6: 2.5%, Omega 3: 0.3%, Calcium: 1.6%, Phosphorus: 0.9%. Nutritional Additives Vitamins: Vitamin A (as retinyl acetate) 14,425 IU /kg, Vitamin D3 (as cholecalciferol) 2,165 IU /kg, Vitamin E (as alpha tocopherol acetate) 95 IU /kg.

Trace Elements: Calcium Iodate Anhydrous 1.5 mg/kg, Ferrous Chelate of Amino Acids Hydrate320 mg/kg, Cupric Chelate of Amino Acids Hydrate 144 mg/kg, Manganous Chelate of Amino Acids Hydrate 224 mg/kg, Zinc Chelate of Amino Acids Hydrate 320 mg/kg, Organic Selenium S.cerevisiae CNCM 1-3060 125 mg/kg.

1 Like

Thank you for letting us know about this. I had not heard of it. In view of the fact that it is described as semi moist it would be interesting to know how it is processed/manufactured.

I have calculated the dry weight protein and fat:
Protein 24.39%
Fat 15.85%

If someone could verify that I would be grateful.

At 60/40 I would imagine that this food is appropriate for non working, pet dogs so will be a useful adjunct to the company’s range. However, the fat content may be a little high for some dogs who have a tendency to easily gain weight. The recipe looks good, although at £58 for 12kg it may be a tad expensive for some. It all depends on the RDA and how far the product goes. I will be interested to hear how you get on with it.

Dottie, I have also calculated the dry weight protein and fat as
Protein 24.39%
Fat 15.85%

1 Like

Thank you. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the information Anita. I would be interested to know what the manufacturing process is too.

It is still an extruded product, using a humectant to hold some moisture content in the food. It isn’t suitable for puppies under 16 weeks but is suitable for older puppies and adults.

There is no reason for excess weight gain provided portion sizes are appropriate for the individual dog.

The feeding amount is 10-15% more than the 80/20 range

The food was developed as easy for dogs that struggle to eat the harder kibble (poor teeth or old age) and also to help as a transition food (or permanent food) for those that are more sensitive to the higher meat content varieties.

It is almost, but not quite, a single protein food, being based on duck with a little the price reflects the high use of duck.

2 Likes

Thank you for explaining - it is helpful.

Well the bag arrived today and all three dogs devoured the semi moist food. Instead of eating the home cooked (or Lily’s Kitchen) first and eating the kibble (Orijen) after, they ate it altogether.
I messaged David today on Facebook and asked if their was any added salt and sugar, he said no, only what is naturally found in the ingredients. I also asked if it was an extruded product and David said that the production process was similar.
I’ve added another pic :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe it is the smell or perhaps the fact that it is something new that attracted them. Dogs often like a change. Thank you for the picture - it does look different to ordinary kibble. I assume that it is first extruded then the humectant added afterwards to make the biscuit moist. I had to look ‘humectant’ up - link. According to the article a humectant is a hygroscopic substance used to keep things moist.

Hi Dottie
Haha I had to look up ‘humectant’ too. I’m assuming that is the glycerine. I’m a long term dog owner and I know they appreciate a change, that is why I do my home cooked wet food varying my recipe each time. I love a roast dinner but eating it everyday would be tedious :confused:
My Poppy the Yorkie is loving it, the other 2 are eating it too but they were fine with kibble.
I had a couple of empty Orijen bags in cupboard and I have transferred the semi-moist into these as they have a resealable top, I thought that might be better for keeping the food moist.

Yes, the humectant is glycerin, a substance that occurs naturally in the body. It’s is added to the food to lock in some moisture and keep the food “squidgy”. In human food things like honey or glucose syrup are also used.

There is a 12 month shelf life from manufacture, and the usual suggestions of cool dry place out of direct sunlight apply. Just rolling down the top of the bag should be enough.

I’m trying to keep my replies brief as I am aware of the rules concerning manufacturers posting on the forums.

1 Like

Thank you for the more detailed reply. As you say, it is important to get the quantity right so as ever, I advise pet owners to weigh the food, at least initially until they are used to the correct amount. Mugs, cups and beakers from other pet food companies will not suffice, especially with a food that might be heavier than ordinary kibble.

1 Like

Hello! I have seen this food and was tempted for my pup! How did you get on?

I’ve just received a bag of this today…will certainly report back as to how my two get on with it

2 Likes

Thank you Sully.

So it’s been just over a month since my two have been on Eden semi moist(Duck & Tripe) and it’s been a good call making the switch,both of them are always keen to eat it and we haven’t had any gastrointestinal issues whilst making the transition.From my perspective they don’t seem to be dehydrated like they are on other “kibbles” and my only issue with the biscuit is the size…it is a “small bite” and could really benefit from being available in larger form.

On a personal note, I do wish manufacturers would stick with 15kg bags rather than 12,I have to be scrooge like with the 12’s ,whereas with the 15 we have kibble all over the garden & in kong wobblers!

2 Likes

I am glad you have found something to suit your dogs. I worry about the amount of water that my dog wants to drink when she has dry food. Pleased to hear that your dogs had no digestive issues and thank you for the feedback. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Sully. Thank you very much for your feedback about this product. It is appreciated and will be of use to others. I too wonder about dehydration with dry food but I suppose that as long as the dog has plenty of fresh water available it quickly corrects itself. I suppose it is something akin to us having a sandwich and a cup of tea to go with it. In the past I have sometimes soaked dry food and it has worked well.

Regarding bag size, I don’t know why manufacturers choose one size over another. Some people have the opposite problem in that the smallest bag size is 5kg but they need 2kg. In the past I have spoken to a company about the need for the smaller bag and was told that it was difficult because it would be very expensive to produce an alternative size and that it might not be cost effective. It might be worth speaking to Eden about this and if you do, please could you let us know their response?